Most insurance companies accept people who take blood thinners. The reason you are taking blood thinners is often more important to the insurance company rather than the medication itself.
If you or someone you love is taking blood thinners, keep reading. We will show you your insurance options and how to find the most affordable coverage.
FOR EASIER NAVIGATION:
- Can I Get Burial Insurance If I Use Blood Thinners?
- Types of Burial Insurance Available For Blood Thinner Users
- What Is My Best Insurance Option If I Use Blood Thinners?
- Do I Need a Medical Exam to Qualify for Burial Insurance?
- What Is The Cost Of Burial Insurance If I Use Blood Thinners?
- Burial Insurance Underwriting If You Use Blood Thinners
- Information We Need if You Use Blood Thinners
- Why Do Insurance Companies Care If You Use Blood Thinners?
- How To Get The Best Rates On Burial Insurance
- How To Apply For Burial Insurance For Blood Thinner Users
- How Can Funeral Funds Help Me?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Get Burial Insurance If I Use Blood Thinners?
YES: If you have a history of AFIB or a stroke, for example, the insurance companies will want to know when these events occurred before issuing 1st-day coverage. If the right companies are available in your state, you may qualify for 1st-day coverage even if your circulatory issue occurred recently.
NO: If your stroke was recent and you’ve been prescribed medications to maintain your health, many companies will not approve you until two years have passed from the date of your stroke. Heart attacks, stents, aneurysms, or other significant medical events would also be reviewed carefully before the insurance company issued you a policy if your health issues occurred within the last two years.
Types of Burial Insurance Available For Blood Thinner Users
FIRST-DAY COVERAGE – This burial insurance covers you from the first day. Your beneficiaries will receive the full death benefit when you pass away. Burial insurance with no waiting period is always cheaper than guaranteed issue life insurance (as long as you go with the correct insurance company).
GUARANTEED ISSUE WHOLE LIFE (GIWL) – This policy has no medical exam or health question questions. You will be approved regardless of any health issues. Guaranteed issue whole life insurance is designed for people with significant health issues who may not qualify for a traditional term life or whole life insurance.
The downside of a GIWL policy is the mandatory two-year waiting period. If you pass away during the waiting period, the policy would only pay out the premiums you have paid plus 7-10% interest (depending on the company).
What Is My Best Insurance Option If I Use Blood Thinners?
If you’re taking blood thinners because of a recent heart attack, stroke, or cardiovascular surgery (within the last two years), you may qualify for 1st-day coverage if certain companies and policies are available in your state.
The best plans with first-day coverage ask some health questions, but if you go with the correct insurance company, these will not limit your ability to get great coverage at the best rates. With these companies, you’ll often get official approval from the insurance company within minutes!
Guaranteed issue burial insurance would be your least desirable choice.
Do I Need a Medical Exam to Qualify for Burial Insurance?
Medical exams, blood tests, and urine samples are not required for burial insurance approval.
What Is The Cost Of Burial Insurance If I Use Blood Thinners?
The cost of burial insurance will depend on your:
- Coverage amount
- General health
- State of residence
- Smoking status
- Type of policy
Burial Insurance Underwriting If You Use Blood Thinners
Commonly prescribed blood-thinner medications:
- Apixaban (Eliquis)
- Clopidogrel (Plavix)
- Dabigatran (Pradaxa)
- Dipyridamole (Persantine)
- Edoxaban (Savaysa)
- Enoxaparin (Lovenox)
- Fondaparinux (Arixtra)
- Heparin (Fragmin, Innohep, and Lovenox))
- Rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- Ticlopidine (Ticlid)
- Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
Most insurance companies accept these medications, but they will want to know why they were prescribed. This is because maintenance medication use is looked at more favorably than emergency use of these drugs.
Information We Need if You Use Blood Thinners
We may ask you some of the following questions to help you qualify for the best policy:
- Have you suffered a blood clot, stroke, or heart attack?
- What blood thinners are you taking?
- What other health issues do you currently have?
- What other medications are you currently taking?
- When did you begin taking blood thinners?
- Why were you prescribed blood-thinning medications?
Why Do Insurance Companies Care If You Use Blood Thinners?
Some blood-thinning medications are a red flag to most insurance companies because they may be dual-purpose medications used to treat many different types of cardiovascular problems.
Some common cardiovascular health problems are:
- Artificial heart valve
- Atrial fibrillation
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Heart attack
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Other cardiovascular diseases
- Pacemaker implant
- Recently had surgery
- Stent implant
- Transient ischemic attacks
How To Get The Best Rates On Burial Insurance
The best way to get the best rates on burial insurance if you use blood thinners is to work with an independent agency like Funeral Funds. Our independent life insurance agents can compare companies offering first-day coverage insurance and recommend the best plan with the best pricing.
How To Apply For Burial Insurance For Blood Thinner Users
- Consult with an Independent Insurance Agent – Ask for guidance from independent insurance agents specializing in underwriting for people who use blood thinners. They can help you understand your options, compare quotes, and choose the most suitable burial insurance plan.
- Complete the Application Honestly – When filling out the life insurance application with your agent, be truthful about your blood thinner use. Provide accurate details about your health, treatments, and any lifestyle changes you’ve made.
- Review and Confirm Policy Details – Carefully review the life insurance policy terms before confirming your acceptance. Make sure the insurance coverage meets your needs and your budget.
How Can Funeral Funds Help Me?
Here at Funeral Funds, we specialize in getting life insurance coverage for people who use blood thinners.
We work with many A+ rated insurance companies that specialize in high-risk clients. Our licensed life insurance agents will search those companies to give you the best rate. We’ll match you up with your best life insurance option.
We will assist you in securing the coverage you need at a rate you can afford. So, if you’re looking for burial insurance for blood-thinner users, we can help. Fill out our quote form on this page or call us at (888)862-9456 to get accurate quote burial insurance quotes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get final expense life insurance on blood thinners?
Most insurance companies accept blood thinner use for their first-day coverage plans. It will depend on your specific medical history and the length of time since any cardiac or circulatory events.
Do I have a waiting period if I use blood thinners?
You can get a first-day coverage plan if you apply to the correct insurance company (depending on your health and other eligibility criteria).
Is there an age limit for burial insurance if I use blood thinners?
Most burial insurance companies offer coverage to blood thinners users who are 18-89 years old.