Trying to find affordable burial insurance with Emphysema may seem difficult. Emphysema is a progressive lung disease that is not curable and is the third leading cause of death in the U.S. for some time now.
Trying to find a life insurance policy if you’re diagnosed with emphysema can be tricky and nearly impossible if you don’t know where to look.
But, here’s the good news!
We can get you approved for burial insurance with emphysema. We’ve helped a lot of people qualify for first-day benefits and we can help you too. We specialize in getting coverage for people with high-risk conditions.
Funeral Funds have access to numerous life insurance companies and we can assist you in finding a policy that fits your needs.
FOR EASIER NAVIGATION:
- What Is My Best Insurance Option If I Have Emphysema?
- What Types Of Burial Insurance Should I Avoid?
- What Type of Burial Insurance is Best?
- If I Have Emphysema, Do I Need A Medical Exam to Qualify for Burial Insurance?
- Burial Insurance Underwriting If You Have Emphysema
- Burial Insurance and Supplement Oxygen Use
- How Should I Pay My Premiums?
- Emphysema and Burial Insurance Riders
- Why Do The Insurance Companies Care About Emphysema?
- Complications of Emphysema
- Emphysema Treatments the Insurance Companies Care About
- Should You Wait Before Buying Burial Insurance with Emphysema?
- How to Get the Best Burial Insurance Rates with Emphysema
- How Can Funeral Funds Help Me?
WHAT IS MY BEST INSURANCE OPTION IF I HAVE EMPHYSEMA?
STAGE 1 – MILD EMPHYSEMA
If your emphysema is under control, you can qualify for level death benefit with first-day coverage.
You will be fully covered from the first day, and you have no waiting period. No matter when you pass away, your beneficiaries will receive 100% of the death benefit.
Best Option: Level death benefit
STAGE 2 – MODERATE EMPHYSEMA
If you have moderate emphysema, you can qualify for first day benefits. This is your best option because you are not healthy enough to qualify for a level death benefit plan.
You can qualify for first-day benefits even if you are on oxygen, provided you are not on oxygen for 24 hours a day.
Best Option: First Day Benefits (Hybrid first-day coverage)
STAGE 3 – SEVERE EMPHYSEMA
If you have severe emphysema and you use oxygen for 24 hours, you will only qualify for guaranteed issue burial insurance.
Guaranteed issue is very simple and straightforward. There is no medical exam or health questionnaire to answer. Your approval is guaranteed if you qualify on the age requirement.
The guaranteed issue policy has a two-year waiting period. If you pass away during the two-year waiting period, your beneficiary will receive the refund of all premiums paid, plus 10% interest.
Best Option: Guaranteed Issue Burial Insurance
There are two drawbacks to this type of policy. First, there is a mandatory two-year waiting period. Second, the premiums are higher compared with a burial insurance policy with underwriting. So you need to pay more and wait two years before your policy will payout.
WHAT TYPES OF BURIAL INSURANCE SHOULD I AVOID?
|PLANS TO AVOID||WHY?|
|Term life||Premiums increase after 5 years. Coverage ends after 80.|
|Pre-paid funeral plans||Expensive|
|Universal life||Tied with stocks|
|No health questions policies||With 2-year waiting period|
|Plans offering "teaser rates"||$9.95 per unit plans or $1 buys $30,000 coverage|
|Over priced plans||Insurance from TV and junk mail|
|Plans that accept mail-in payments||Risky|
|Plans that accept Direct Express||High lapse rate|
|Plans that accept Credit Cards||High lapse rate|
WHAT TYPE OF BURIAL INSURANCE IS BEST?
|FUNERAL FUNDS PLAN BENEFITS||INCLUDED|
|1st Day Coverage||YES|
|Rates NEVER Increase||YES|
|Coverage NEVER Decreases||YES|
|Easy to get approved||YES|
|No Medical Exam||YES|
|Same Day Approval||YES|
|Death Claims Pay Fast||YES|
|Builds cash value||YES|
|Coverage Up To Age 121||YES|
IF I HAVE EMPHYSEMA, DO I NEED A MEDICAL EXAM TO QUALIFY FOR BURIAL INSURANCE?
NO. You don’t need a medical exam to qualify for burial insurance with emphysema. A non-medical exam policy makes it easier for you to get covered immediately regardless of what emphysema stage you are in.
You don’t need to provide blood and urine samples either. You only need to answer some health questions. You can also opt for a no health questions policy if you have severe emphysema and use supplemental oxygen.
BURIAL INSURANCE UNDERWRITING IF YOU HAVE EMPHYSEMA
All life insurance companies want to know if you have emphysema.
You will often find it in the health questionnaire asked this way:
- Do you have, been told or been treated for, or been advised to receive treatment or medication for COPD or lung disease?
- During the past 24 months, were you diagnosed with emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with or receive treatment or medication for emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or chronic bronchitis?
The insurance carriers want to know if you have emphysema. They will not ask any details about how mild or severe your condition is.
Aside from the health questions, burial insurance companies conduct prescription history check to verify your answer to the health questionnaire.
There are Emphysema medications they are on the lookout for. If these medications show in your prescription history, you will be classified as a person with emphysema.
Here is a list of common medications for Emphysema that the life insurance underwriters will need to know before reviewing your life insurance application:
- Tiotropium (Spiriva)
- Ipratropium (Atrovent)
- Albuterol (Proventil, Ventolin, others)
- Salmeterol (Serevent)
- Formoterol (Foradil)
- Levalbuterol (Xopenex)
- Budesonide and formoterol (Symbicort)
- Fluticasone and salmeterol (Advair)
- Mometasone and formoterol (Dulera)
Asthma and Emphysema share many medications to treat both conditions.
Here’s a list of medications used to treat asthma and emphysema:
Some insurance companies look for a combination of these drugs. If they see you taking 2-3 medication combinations from asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema drug list, they will consider you an emphysema patient.
BURIAL INSURANCE AND SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN USE
Every first-day coverage life insurance company application will ask about oxygen use. If you say yes to the oxygen use question, your application will be declined for first-day coverage. The only oxygen use approved for life insurance is if the oxygen is used for sleep apnea.
If you have emphysema and you use supplemental oxygen to treat your condition, we would need to know if you are using oxygen for 24 a day. If you are not using supplemental oxygen for 24 hours, you will still qualify for a plan with first-day benefits.
However, if you are using supplemental oxygen for 24 hours, your best option to qualify for life insurance is a guaranteed issue life insurance policy.
HOW SHOULD I PAY MY PREMIUMS?
|Savings Account||Best way to pay|
|Checking Account||Best way to pay|
|Money Order||Not recommended|
|Cashier's Check||Not recommended|
|Debit Card||Not recommended|
|Credit Card||Not recommended|
|Direct Express||Not recommended|
Among these methods, savings or checking accounts is the best. We recommend you set a bank draft from your savings or checking account. That way, the bank will automatically pay your premium each month, and you will not worry about your policy lapsing due to non-payment.
|PAYMENT FREQUENCY||RECOMMENDED||ACCEPTED BY|
|Quarterly||Not Recommended||Some Companies|
|Semi-annually||Not Recommended||Some Companies|
|Annually||Not Recommended||Some Companies|
EMPHYSEMA AND BURIAL INSURANCE RIDERS
You may have the option to add a policy(s) rider to your basic policy. Insurance riders add benefits to your policy. Adding insurance riders can enhance your policy to fit your specific needs.
Some riders can be added to your policy without additional cost. However, some riders come with some extra costs. Don’t worry; riders are affordable, and it involves little to no underwriting.
|FUNERAL FUNDS ADD-ONS||AVAILABILITY|
|Terminal Illness Add-On Benefit||Included with most plans|
|Nursing Home Care Add-On Benefit||Included with most plans|
WHY DO THE INSURANCE COMPANIES CARE ABOUT EMPHYSEMA?
Emphysema is a long-term, progressive lung disease that causes shortness of breath due to over-inflation of the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs.
The lung tissue used in the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide is impaired or destroyed. When this tissue is damaged, the airways collapse, making it hard for the lungs to release that’s why the air becomes trapped in the alveoli. This leaves no room for fresh oxygen-rich air to enter.
Emphysema is an example of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It frequently occurs with obstructive pulmonary problems and chronic bronchitis with almost daily cough and phlegm. It is not a curable condition, but there are treatments that can help to manage the disease.
Like most lung-function diseases, smoking is the most often the leading cause of emphysema. Other causes are long-term exposure to irritants like marijuana smoke, air pollution, chemical fumes, and dust.
In rare cases, emphysema is caused by an inherited deficiency in alpha-1 antitrypsin, a protein that protects the elastic structures in the lungs.
Most insurance companies will want to know if you have serious lung problems before approving you for coverage.
COMPLICATIONS OF EMPHYSEMA
The insurance companies know that most people with emphysema are more likely to develop conditions like:
- Heart Problems. Emphysema may increase the pressure in the arteries connecting the heart and lungs. It can result in cor pulmonale where a section of the heart expands and weakens.
- Large holes in the lungs or bullae. Emphysema patients can develop empty spaces in the lungs called bullae. It can be as large as half of the lung. It can reduce the amount of space available for the lung to expand. Large holes or bullae can increase your risk of pneumothorax or collapsed lung.
- Collapsed lung or pneumothorax. A collapsed lung is life-threatening to people with severe emphysema because lung functions are already compromised. This condition is rare but serious when it occurs.
EMPHYSEMA TREATMENTS THE INSURANCE COMPANIES CARE ABOUT
Emphysema treatment can take many forms. Some are viewed favorably by insurance companies, and some are not.
A doctor may prescribe any of these treatments depending on the severity of your condition:
- Quit smoking. Stopping smoking may stop the progression of the disease and may improve lung function to some extent. Smoking cessation may prevent the lung function from its rapid deterioration back to its standard rate after smoking is stopped.
- Bronchodilation medications (Albuterol, Ipratropium, Methylxanthines) can cause the air passages to open more fully and allow better air exchange. Bronchodilators are usually the first medication prescribed for shortness of breath.
- Medications are often prescribed if there is a suspected infection that increased shortness of breath. Even when there is no pneumonia, people treated with antibiotics tend to have shorter episodes of shortness of breath.
- Steroid medications. Steroids decrease inflammation in the body. It can reduce the inflammation in the lung and has shown benefit in emphysema. Steroids may be given orally or through an inhaler.
- Sometimes it is necessary to have supplemental oxygen at home. There are home-based oxygen tanks and portable oxygen units that enable patients to be mobile and engage in normal day-to-day activities.
- Surgery. Lung transplant or lung volume reduction surgery is performed if both upper lobes of the lungs are involved. The operation allows a better expansion of the lower portion of the lungs. For most advanced emphysema, transplantation of either one or both lungs can improve quality of life for a few years.
SHOULD YOU WAIT BEFORE BUYING BURIAL INSURANCE WITH EMPHYSEMA?
If you can qualify for level death benefit with immediate coverage, buy it now!
Unfortunately, many people with respiratory issues like emphysema consider purchasing burial insurance but decided to wait. There is no cure for emphysema, and it progressively gets worse with time, the condition will only be managed, but it will not improve.
The more symptoms you exhibit, the more treatment you need which will knock you out of immediate coverage.
The great thing is you can still qualify for burial insurance. We will guide you on your application process.
You don’t want a decline on your record if you can avoid it the first time. Some companies do not accept anyone who was previously declined in the last 12 months; we will help you avoid this at all cost.
If your emphysema is severe and you need supplemental oxygen, guaranteed issue life insurance is your only option for coverage. The life expectancy of emphysema patient is not long. That is why it’s so important to act now and start working on the waiting period.
HOW TO GET THE BEST BURIAL INSURANCE RATES WITH EMPHYSEMA
As an emphysema patient, you should quit smoking, if you chew tobacco you’re going to face much higher insurance rates. You need to stop tobacco use if you want to get affordable insurance protection.
Aside from stopping smoking or chewing tobacco, the best way to save money on insurance is to let us compare insurance companies for you. Some companies will flag on your emphysema diagnosis, while others will give you reasonable rates. We will find you the one that offers the lowest rates.
We have worked extensively with emphysema clients, and we know the ones that give the best rates.
HOW CAN FUNERAL FUNDS HELP ME?
To find the best burial insurance with emphysema you need to talk with an independent life insurance agency like Funeral Funds that have the necessary connections with the right insurance companies.
Our agents are extensively trained in the underwriting criteria and requirements for burial insurance coverage with emphysema.
Funeral Funds has access to many life insurance companies and can compare insurance policies, benefits, and premiums. We will shop your application to different emphysema-friendly life insurance companies to ensure that you get the best policy tailored to your individual needs.
We will assist you in securing the coverage you need at a rate you can afford. So, if you are looking for funeral insurance with emphysema, final expense insurance with emphysema, or burial insurance with emphysema, we can help.
By working with an agency that specialized in emphysema insurance, you will increase your chances of finding the most affordable coverage. Fill out the instant quote form on this page to get quotes from different insurance companies, or call us at (888)862-9456 to discuss your options.