Getting burial insurance if you need help with toileting shouldn’t be a hassle and trying to secure final expense insurance if you need help with toileting isn’t as difficult as you might think.
Here’s the good news…
You don’t need to undergo a medical exam or need to provide your medical history. You won’t need to answer any health questions to qualify.
Many people who need help with toileting and performing activities of daily living (ADL) such as eating, bathing, dressing, continence and transferring will still qualify for burial life insurance to protect their family in the future.
If you or your loved one needs help with toileting and other ADLs and need to get a life insurance policy to cover your final expenses, you will be surprised that some burial insurance companies will happily accept you.
Here’s a detailed guide on what you need to expect when applying for burial insurance if you need help with toileting and other ADL. We will cover everything you need to know about ADLs and how you can find the best burial and final expense insurance policy.
FOR EASIER NAVIGATION:
WHAT ARE THE ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING (ADL)?
ADL’s are self-care activities that we must do to lead a normal and independent life. Inability to do these means we cannot take care of ourselves and we may need long-term care.
There are six ADL used by life insurance companies to measure an applicants’ function and independence:
TOILETING – the ability to locate the toilet and use it without any help
- Getting on and off the toilet safely
- Taking off and putting undergarments.
- Performing personal hygiene task associated with toileting
- Using and emptying a bedpan or urinal after use
- Changing menstrual or incontinence products
Needing help from another person in completing any of these toileting activities means you are dependent on help for toileting.
DRESSING – the ability to put on and take off any article of clothing without struggling with buttons or zippers
- Obtaining clothes from drawers and closets
- Putting on and taking off fasteners, splints, braces, and artificial limbs.
- Choosing appropriate clothing depending on the weather
- Getting shoes and socks on and taking them off
Needing help from another person to complete these activities means you are dependent on help for dressing.
EATING – the process of getting food into the body from a food container into the mouth, chewing and swallowing using adaptive utensils such as a spoon or fork.
- Eating includes drinking from a cup or glass.
- Cleaning the face and hands after meals.
- When unable to feed yourself from a container, it means you may need to be fed through a feeding tube or intravenously.
If you need help from another person to eat, you are dependent on help with eating.
BATHING – the ability to clean the whole body using a sponge, shower or tub
- Getting in and out of the shower, shower chair or tub safely
- Turning on and off the faucet
- Adjusting showerheads and changing water temperature as desired
- Reaching different body parts to soap, rinse and dry.
- Washing the hair in a tub, sink or shower
- Bathing also includes performing other grooming activities such as shaving, brushing teeth and hair, cleaning dentures, clipping nails, and make-up application
If you need help from another person to complete any of these bathing activities, you are dependent on help with bathing.
TRANSFERRING – the ability to get in or out of bed, chair or wheelchair without assistance
- Sitting, rising and moving from couch, chair or bed
- Getting in and out of a vehicle
- Standing and repositioning yourself to promote blood circulation and prevent skin sore.
If you need help from another person with any of these transferring activities, you are dependent on help with transferring.
CONTINENCE – the ability to maintain control of bladder and bowel function and perform personal hygiene tasks
- Changing of incontinent pads per day for urinary incontinence
- Frequent changes of incontinent pads or underwear for fecal incontinence
- Managing a condom catheter, ostomy or urinary catheter collection bag, including emptying and rinsing the collection bag
If you can’t control your bladder or bowel function and you need help from another person to do the associated personal hygiene tasks, you are dependent on help for continence.
CAN I GET LIFE INSURANCE IF I NEED HELP WITH ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING?
The answer is YES! You will qualify for some type of life insurance even if you need help with toileting and other activities of daily living as long as your age meets the insurance company’s requirement.
Many A-rated life insurance companies extend coverage to people needing help with ADLs.
There is a particular type of life insurance policy that offers guaranteed approval. The guaranteed issue whole life insurance policy will not require you to take a medical exam or answer any underwriting questions because your health is not taken into account to qualify.
For people who have been declined coverage in the past, this type of policy is your best option to get life insurance coverage. The application process is quick and easy. The insurance company will give the decision regarding your eligibility after 15 minutes.
HOW DOES NEEDING HELP WITH TOILETING AFFECT LIFE INSURANCE?
The insurance companies define toileting as the ability to go to the toilet and perform the associated personal hygiene task. Toileting is an important self-care activity that you must do on our own. But, as we age and our health deteriorates, we may need help with toileting and other basic activities of daily living.
Even if seniors are pretty independent, they may still need help when they to go to the toilet. It’s easy for them to trip and fall when walking to the bathroom in a rush or when standing or sitting in the toilet due to blood pressure changes.
Anybody who is dependent on help with toileting and other ADLs often needs long-term care services. Requiring long-term care services raises a red flag with life insurance companies. Being toilet dependent will significantly affect your ability to qualify for the best-priced insurance coverage.
Needing assistance to perform ADL raises a red flag to life insurance agencies because the inability to go to the toilet independently is generally associated with several health problems including:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Cerebral palsy
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Heart attack
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spina bifida
Any of these medical conditions when severe enough can cause you to prevent going to the toilet independently. These pre-existing conditions can also cause mobility issues that can lead to falls, accidents, and injuries that can cause premature death. Anything that can cause premature death is considered high risk by life insurance companies.
Applicants needing help with toileting and other activities of daily living are considered high-risk applicants. Therefore, they will need to pay more premiums and have a short waiting period. No life insurance company will offer you coverage during the first two years if you need help in performing ADL.
INFORMATION WE NEED IF YOU NEED HELP WITH TOILETING
When applying for burial insurance if you need help with toileting, we will need more information about your current health and functionality. Your information will help us understand your inability to go to the toilet on your own and your other health conditions.
- Do you need help with toileting?
- Do you need help with other activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing, transferring or continence?
- Have you ever used a wheelchair or currently in a wheelchair?
- Are you currently bedridden?
- Are you in an assisted living or nursing facility?
- What medical conditions do you have?
- Are you taking medications?
- What medications do you take?
Based on your information, we will be able to determine what insurance company is best for your needs. We will also give you an accurate quote.
UNDERWRITING BURIAL INSURANCE IF YOU NEED HELP WITH TOILETING AND ADLs
Every burial insurance company that has underwriting (health questions) will ask if you need help with toileting and other daily living activities in their application.
Common life insurance questions about toileting and other ADL you will see include:
- Do you need assistance in performing activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting or continence?
- Do you currently use a wheelchair due to a disability or chronic illness?
- Do you currently receive home health care services or, in the last two years, did you receive home health care for more than three separate periods of care?
- Are you currently confined to a nursing or assisted living facility?
If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, your application will be automatically declined for traditional life insurance. However, a better option is getting a guaranteed issue burial insurance which does not have any health questions.
INSURANCE OPTIONS IF YOU NEED HELP WITH TOILETING OR ADLs
Guaranteed Issue (GI) policies don’t require you to take a medical exam or pass any underwriting questions. The company will also not require you to submit your medical records, and your prescription history will not be checked either. Your health is not taken into account to qualify. You could be in your deathbed, and the life insurance company will not care about it.
There are some things you need to understand about guaranteed issue life insurance. It has a two-year waiting period for a natural cause of death. The company will only pay a full death benefit if you die from an accident during the first two years.
If you die from illness, the insurance company will return all the premiums you paid to your beneficiaries plus 10% interest. After the two-year waiting period, you are fully protected for life. At this point, the insurance company will pay the full death benefit to your beneficiaries if you die for any reason.
While it cost a bit more than insurance policies with medical underwriting, you will not have to worry about the possibility of being denied coverage because of your inability to get to the toilet on your own or perform any of the activities of daily living.
WHY DO YOU NEED GUARANTEED ISSUE BURIAL INSURANCE IF YOU NEED HELP WITH TOILETING?
We recommend buying guaranteed issue burial insurance if you need help with toileting and other ADLs because it’s the only life insurance plan you will qualify for because of your condition. If you are relatively healthy and only need help with toileting, you can have an average life expectancy and easily outlive the two-year waiting period.
Postponing your application for life insurance coverage as your health may decline at any moment. It is wise to apply now and start working on the waiting period.
Buying a guaranteed issue burial insurance if you need help with toileting is a great investment as you won’t lose money with this plan because your premiums will be returned plus interest if you die during the waiting period. Buying a guaranteed issue burial insurance policy will cost much less in the long run than having no insurance coverage at all.
BENEFITS OF GUARANTEED ISSUE BURIAL INSURANCE
- Easy to qualify. There are no medical exam and health questions. You are guaranteed to be approved regardless of your medical conditions.
- Level premium. Your monthly premium is fixed for life. It will never increase regardless of your advancing age or worsening health condition.
- The death benefit will never decrease. Your beneficiaries will receive the 100% face amount on your policy when you pass away after the waiting period.
- Tax-free. Your death benefit will be paid to your beneficiary free of tax. They will not owe any income tax on the death benefit.
- Your policy will never expire when you reach 80 years old. Guaranteed acceptance life insurance is whole life insurance that will last your lifetime. The policy will never end as long as you keep paying the premiums.
- Not cancellable. Your policy can never be canceled by the life insurance company as long as premium payments are made on time.
- Cash value accumulation. Guaranteed acceptance life insurance is whole life insurance that accumulates cash value over the years. You can withdraw or borrow against it.
THE BEST GUARANTEED ISSUE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY
The best-guaranteed issue whole life insurance policy will not have you wait more than two years to take effect. Some plans have three or even four-year waiting periods. It’s totally insane! Avoid these plans at all cost.
Two years is the shortest period possible before you are fully covered. You don’t have to wait for more than that.
If you need help with toileting, then GI policy is your best choice. Your application will be quick and easy because there are no medical exam or health questions.
Guaranteed issue life insurance has a two-year waiting period only. If you happen to die during the first two years because of natural death, your beneficiaries will get your premiums back plus 10% interest.
REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR GUARANTEED ISSUE BURIAL INSURANCE
Every final expense company has its own age availability, but most guaranteed acceptance burial insurance companies accept applicants who are 50 to 85 years old.
Not every insurance company has their products licensed and available in every state. Make sure the company has guaranteed acceptance life insurance policy available in your state before applying.
ABILITY TO ENTER A LEGAL CONTRACT
You must possess a mental capacity to enter into a legal contract. For example, if you have severe cognitive impairment and you cannot legally consent to an agreement, the company may reject your application.
COMMONLY ADVERTISED GUARANTEED ISSUE BURIAL INSURANCE IN TV AND MAGAZINES YOU SHOULD AVOID:
INCREASING PREMIUM – Many of these life insurance companies offering this plan require premium increase every five years. A real guaranteed acceptance whole life insurance has a fixed premium for life.
POLICY TERMINATION AFTER AGE 80 – Some guaranteed issue policies end when you reach 80 years old. Guaranteed acceptance life insurance is a whole life insurance policy that lasts a lifetime.
3-YEAR WAITING PERIOD – The best-guaranteed issue life insurance has only a two-year waiting period. It is essential to work with an independent life insurance agency that will prevent you from being deceived into agreeing to buy a guaranteed issue life insurance with a 3-year or 4-year waiting period.
HOW CAN FUNERAL FUNDS HELP ME?
Trying to find a policy if you need help with toileting needn’t be a frustrating process; working with an independent agency like Funeral Funds will make the process easier and quicker.
If you have a health history of needing help with toileting, let us help you; we will work with you side by side to find a plan that fits your needs.
We will work with you every step of the way to find the plan that fits your financial requirements and budget. You don’t have to waste your precious time anymore searching for multiple insurance companies because we will do the dirty work for you.
We will shop your case to different insurance carriers and get you the best price.
We work with many A+ rated insurance carriers that specialized in covering high-risk clients like you. We will search for all those companies to get the best rate. We will match you up with the best burial insurance company that gives the best rate.
We will assist you in securing the coverage you need at a rate you can afford. So, if you are looking for help with toileting funeral insurance, or need help with toileting burial insurance, or need help with toileting life insurance, we can help.
Fill out our quote form on this page or call us at (888) 862-9456 and we can give you an accurate quote.