In this Royal Neighbors of America burial insurance review, we will help you understand their burial insurance products, benefits, and other information.
One Royal Neighbor life insurance product is great, but we don’t recommend buying the other.
This article will provide complete information on what Royal Neighbors is all about to help you decide if they are the best fit for you.
Table of Contents
Click any topic below to navigate to specific sections:
What to Ask Before Buying Royal Neighbors Life Insurance
What Are My Policy Options With Royal Neighbors?
There are two Royal Neighbor’s burial insurance products. Their simplified issue whole life offers 1st-day coverage, and their graded death benefit plan has a waiting period for people with more significant health conditions.
If you qualify, their simplified whole life insurance plan will give you full coverage from the first day, and your family or loved ones will receive 100% of your death benefit when you pass away.
Since Funeral Funds only helps our clients with 1st-day coverage insurance, we will ignore Royal Neighbor’s graded death benefit plan in this review.
What is a Fraternal Benefits Society?
Royal Neighbors is a fraternal benefits society. A fraternal benefit society is a not-for-profit organization that sells life insurance but differs from a regular insurance company.
A fraternal benefit society exists to provide benefits and support to its members. They have no shareholders, and their profits go back to their members.
The government backs traditional life insurance companies with U.S state-guaranteed funds. If the company becomes insolvent, the guaranteed fund will ensure that the policyholders will still get something.
This fund does not cover fraternal benefits society. They must manage their business to prevent insolvency because there is no fund to back it up.
Do Royal Neighbors Have Any Hidden “Fine Print” In Their Policy?
Their first-day coverage plan is terrific, and we highly recommend it.
The Royal Neighbors graded benefit plan has a limited death benefit payout during the first two years of the policy. The beneficiary will receive 30% of the benefit if the policyholder dies in the first year. If death occurs in the second year, the beneficiary will receive 70%. In the third year, they will receive the full death benefit amount.
What Are The Pros & Cons Of Royal Neighbors Insurance?
#1 – First-Day Coverage Plan
- Protection starts on the first payment date
- Easy application and approval over the phone
- Pricing is comparable with other companies
- Accepts diabetic complication for first-day coverage
- Fraternal benefits are also available to policyholders
- Most health issues qualify for a first-day coverage plan
- Plans are not available in all states
- You cannot buy coverage below $5,000
#2 – Graded Benefit Plan
- Enjoy fraternal benefits
- Accepts significant health issues
- Easy phone application and approval within minutes
- Does not have a height and weight chart. Overweight and obese may qualify
- Protection begins on the first day, but benefit payout is phased in over time.
- Not available in all 50 states
- You can only buy up to $10,000 in coverage
Are There Any Riders Or Other Benefits With Royal Neighbors Burial Insurance?
Royal Neighbors Riders
- Accelerated Living Benefit For Terminal Condition & Permanent Confinement: “When the Insured has been continuously confined to a nursing home for 90 days and the physician-certified confinement is expected to be permanent; when the insured is diagnosed by a physician as having a terminal condition and has a life expectancy of 12 months or less”
Royal Neighbors’ Other Benefits
Royal Neighbors offers some terrific benefits to its policy holders and members.
- Legal services
- Dental savings
- Savings Marketplace
- Prescription savings
- Diabetic supplies
- Vision Savings
- Life Line screening
- Hearing aid savings
- MRI & CT scan savings
- Lab testing savings
How Do I Get Approved By Royal Neighbors?
Royal Neighbors’ 1st-day coverage life insurance plan will ask if you’ve ever had health issues or had health issues in the last 12 and 24.
What Are Royal Neighbors’ Application Questions?
Your answer to the health questions is the most important part of the Royal Neighbors’ final expense insurance application process.
Answering “YES” to any health questions in the knockout section will mean your application will not be approved.
Is the Proposed Insured currently:
- Hospitalized, in a nursing facility, or receiving Hospice Care? (YES – NO)
- Confined to a wheelchair, bed, or using oxygen equipment to assist in breathing?
Has any member of the medical profession ever diagnosed or treated proposed insured for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), AIDS-Related Complex (ARC), or an immune deficiency disease, or has the proposed insured tested positive for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)? (YES – NO)
Has the proposed insured ever been diagnosed as having or been treated for:
- Congestive heart failure, or had or been recommended to have an organ transplant? (YES – NO)
- Insulin shock, diabetic coma, amputation caused by disease, or taken insulin shots prior to age 30? (YES – NO)
- Dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, or mental incapacity? (YES – NO)
During the past 18 months, has the proposed insured been diagnosed as having:
- Stroke, aneurysm, cardiomyopathy, or circulatory surgery? (YES – NO)
- Angina (chest pain), heart attack or failure, or heart surgery? (YES – NO)
During the past 24 months, has the prosed insured been diagnosed as having, or been treated for:
- Internal Cancer, Melanoma, or Leukemia? (YES – NO)
- Cirrhosis, liver disease, chronic kidney failure (including dialysis) chronic kidney disease, or systemic lupus? (YES – NO)
During the past 18 months, have you been diagnosed as having:
- Any condition expected to result in death within 12 months? (YES – NO)
- Have you been advised by a medical professional to have any diagnostic testing that has not been completed or for which the results have not been received? (YES – NO)
- Have a physician recommended treatment or counseling for alcohol or drug abuse? (YES – NO)
During the past 24 months, has the proposed insured been diagnosed as having, or been treated for:
- Stroke, angina (chest pain), heart attack, or cardiomyopathy? (YES – NO)
- Heart or circulatory surgery (including pacemaker, heart valve replacement, bypass, angioplasty, stent implant, or any procedure to improve circulation to the heart or brain)? (YES – NO)
During the past 24 months, has the proposed insured been diagnosed as having, or been treated for:
- Emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or tuberculosis (TB)? (YES – NO)
- Neuromuscular disease (include Multiple Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig’s Disease, Epilepsy, or Parkinson’s Disease)? (YES – NO)
PRESCRIPTION HISTORY CHECK
Some prescription drugs are a red flag and can cause you to be declined for coverage.
For example, suppose you say “NO” to having AIDS but taking anti-retroviral medication to control your condition. In that case, Royal Neighbors will offer you a plan consistent with someone who has AIDS and denies your application.
You can often get approved by Royal Neighbors for first-day coverage if you take these medications for diabetes:
With many other companies, these medications can be problematic and often result in a declined application.
When Should I Consider Royal Neighbors Burial Insurance?
One GREAT thing about Royal Neighbors is that they have no build chart for height and weight. Your weight doesn’t matter with this company (this is terrific for overweight individuals!)
Royal Neighbors’ whole life insurance is a great option if you have these health conditions:
- blood clots
- blood thinner use
- cystic fibrosis
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- mental health issues
- transient ischemic attack or mini-stroke
Do Royal Neighbors Have A Same-Day Approval Process?
Royal Neighbors has an easy same-day application process. We can get you approved within 15 minutes over the phone.
How Can I Get Royal Neighbors Burial Insurance Pricing?
Royal Neighbors rates are based on your age, gender, health, coverage amount, and the state you live in at the time of application.
|FEMALE AGE||$10,000 ||$15,000 ||$20,000 ||$25,000
|50|| $33.71 || $49.26 || $64.81 || $80.36
|55|| $37.51 || $54.96 || $72.41 || $89.86
|60|| $38.21 || $56.01 || $73.81 || $91.61
|65|| $44.61 || $65.61 || $86.61 || $107.61
|70|| $55.61 || $82.11 || $108.61 || $135.11
|75|| $79.81 || $118.41 || $157.01 || $195.61
|MALE AGE||$10,000 ||$15,000 ||$20,000 ||$25,000
|50|| $39.61 || $58.11 || $76.61 || $95.11
|55|| $46.31 || $68.16 || $90.01 || $111.86
|60|| $50.11 || $73.86 || $97.61 || $121.36
|65|| $58.81 || $86.91 || $115.01 || $143.11
|70|| $74.81 || $110.91 || $147.01 || $183.11
|75|| $110.41 || $164.31 || $218.21 || $272.11
*Pricing is for illustration purposes only and is subject to change without notice.
How Do Royal Neighbors Compare To Other Insurance Providers In Terms Of Price?
If you are open to looking at better insurance companies with better rates, we can offer you some help!
Common Royal Neighbors Company Questions
What Is Royal Neighbors’ Operational History
Royal Neighbors of America was established in Council Bluff, Iowa, in 1895. The founding eight women were one of the first insurers in America to provide life insurance to women and children.
Royal Neighbors currently have over 250,000 members, with more than $2.7 billion in life insurance in force. They also have nearly $1 billion in assets.
They are a stable company you can trust to pay your claim on time.
230 16th Street
Rock Island, Illinois, IL 61201
Website: Royal Neighbors of America
Support: (800) 627-4762
What Is Royal Neighbors’ Financial Rating?
Royal Neighbors has an “A” Excellent rating with A.M Best due to its financial strength and its timely payment of claims.
Also, Royal Neighbors has been an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau since August 1, 1986. The BBB has given them an A+ rating.
Does Royal Neighbors Have Any Consumer Complaints?
Royal Neighbors had six complaints with the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners) in 2021. The consumer complaints concern claim handling, policyholder service, marketing, and sales.
What Should You Know Before Buying Royal Neighbors Burial Insurance?
What is Royal Neighbors’ Sales Process?
Royal Neighbors is not a “Captive Carrier.”
Independent agencies like Funeral Funds of America can sell Royal Neighbors burial insurance products.
Some agencies only sell Royal Neighbors products and never tell you about other companies’ lower rates.
Informed buyers know that almost all other life insurance companies offer better coverage and rates, and most come with no waiting period.
Are Any Health Conditions Not Accepted By Royal Neighbors?
These health issues are not accepted for first-day coverage with Royal Neighbors:
- Activities Of Daily Living (ADLs)
- Alzheimer’s or Dementia
- AIDs, HIV, ARC
- Current Cancer
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Diabetic Amputation
- End-stage Renal Disease
- Nursing Home Confinement
- Organ or Tissue Transplant
- Oxygen Use
- Terminal Illness
How Can I Get Pricing Help Today?
Use our quoting software below to see how Royal Neighbors’ burial insurance pricing compares to other companies.
- $10,000 to 15,000 is often appropriate for burial needs
- $3,000 to $7,000 is often appropriate for cremation needs
What Are The Top 10 Questions About Royal Neighbors?
Is Royal neighbors a good life insurance company?Royal Neighbors has an “A” rating with A.M. Best, meaning it has the financial capacity to pay claims on time.
How old is Royal Neighbors of AmericaRoyal Neighbors was founded on December 5, 1888. They have been in business for 134 years.
Where is Royal Neighbors of AmericaRoyal Neighbors was founded on December 5, 1888. They have been in business for 134 years.
Where is Royal Neighbors of AmericaThe company is located in Rock Island, Illinois.
Who founded Royal Neighbors of AmericaMarie Kirkland and other women founded Royal Neighbors of America in Council Bluffs, IA.
666What is a fraternal benefit society?A fraternal benefit society is a not-for-profit organization that sells life insurance and does charitable programs and benefits to its members and the general public.
Is Royal Neighbors a mutual company?Royal Neighbors is a mutual company.
How can I make Royal Neighbors insurance online payment?You can pay your Royal Neighbors insurance policy online on their website. You can also call them at (800) 627-4762 to make a payment.
How do I cancel my Royal Neighbors insurance policy?To cancel your Royal Neighbors’ life insurance policy, contact their customer service department at (800) 627-4762.
What are the common terms used when searching for Royal Neighbors Insurance?
Here are some common terms people use when searching for, or describing Royal Neighbors life insurance Products:
- Royal Neighbors Burial Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Cremation Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Final Expense Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Funeral Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Term Life Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Universal Life Insurance
- Royal Neighbors Whole Life Insurance
Sources Cited In This Article:
- David Duford. “Royal Neighbors Final Expense Agent Guide” Accessed November 14, 2022. https://davidduford.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/royal-neighbors-final-expense-agent-guide.pdf
- NAIC. “Results by Complaint Code.” Accessed November 14, 2022. https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm?TABLEAU=CIS_CODE&COCODE=57657&:refre